Monday, April 19, 2010

What every Class C (you and me!) driver should know!

I've always been nice to truck drivers granted they do annoy me at times since I do a lot of commuting...I mean really do you HAVE to go 65 well, the short answer is for the most part Yes!

I'm going to preface this entry with the following disclaimer: I know there are some jerk truck drivers who don't obey laws and are rude but for the most part they are law abiding and are just trying to get from point A to point B. They aren't trying to make your life miserable I promise!

Now on to the list:
1. Yes, they have to go 65 or whatever slow speed they are going.
I'm a speed demon just like the rest of you, but they can't be. I just learned that the trucks Keith will be driving are governed at like 65 mph. Do they REALLY want to go that slow...NO! But they have to.

2. They suffer far more than you and I do when/if they get a ticket.
That's right no online traffic school or other traffic school for these guys! Violation are automatic points on their record and the more points they get the harder it is to get a job and the list goes on.

3. Cell Phones??
Yes...and No. They can utilize headsets just like the rest of us, however if you're like me I can't stand them and do the speaker phone thing...it's not AT my ear but still in my hands. Technicalities really! :) If we are to get pulled over our fines are substantial but not so bad it really PREVENTS us from risking it. Truck drivers...$4,750 fine! That's right $4,750! Keith is prepared with his headset don't worry!

4. The trucks are big
Yeah, I know it's obvious but you have to take into account it does take a lot to move those things around and they can't just hit the brakes and come to a stop. It's more of a process to do anything they want to do. Next time you're merging and the truck doesn't just hop lanes like a jack rabbit don't get upset...just relax they're not being rude (for the most part - see disclaimer).

There are plenty of other things that we should know, but just be patient with them, they're not TRYING to make your life miserable. They have a lot on the line to keep their jobs and their driving habits are a lot of it. I firmly believe that part of getting your driver's license should be learning about what goes into driving trucks and there is a certain level of respect that needs to be granted to them. Again, there are some flat out rude ones, but others are just trying to move our goods from point A to point B.


No comments:

Post a Comment